Thursday, August 19, 2010

Coming Along

Oh, little craft blog, how cruelly neglected you are!

It's not that I don't love you.  It's just that when there are a million things on your plate, something has to go in order for you to scarf down the whole meal.

Obviously I haven't been doing much in the way of crafting lately.  Even at our bimonthly craft nights chez Stephanie I mostly focus on eating brownies.  However, there are two things I've been working on lately that I really wanted to share but just haven't had the time to until now.

One is the thing I alluded to in my last few posts, the special project that was (cue fancy reveal music now!) for Stephanie.  Steph loves cameos and zombies, so when I saw the "Lolita" cameo (a female skeleton in profile) I felt like she needed to have it.

After browsing Etsy for a while I figured out that I could buy the supplies to make at least 3 full necklaces for less than it would cost me to buy a completed one, so that's what I did.  I got 6 of the cameos, and 3 settings, some chain, and some jump rings and clasps, and after a few shipping hiccups I finally put together the awesome: one for her, one for me.


And four other cameos left over to do whatever I want with.

The other thing, the incredibly slow-going thing, that I've been working on is another Halo 3 inspired embroidery, the Bulltrue Medal.  You get the Bulltrue Medal when you manage to kill someone in the middle of a sword lunge, which is a tricky thing to do.  I feel like I should get some sort of medal for attempting this piece, which is far more complicated and annoying than the crossed swords I did a while back.  Hopefully I will have a proportionately greater sense of accomplishment once they're finished.

Because the fabric I chose is too dark for the black carbon paper I used on the swords, I drew the image on the back of the piece and am embroidering it upside down, which is proving to be the least efficient way that I could go about working on this.  Oh well.  It's still coming out alright, though when I look at it up close I can see that my heart's not in the attention to detail quite the way it should be.


But it's coming along and looks pretty good so far, if you ask me.

Give me another month and it'll probably have some eyes, and maybe it'll be completed by Christmas.  :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment