Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Like To Read

It's Tuesday, so if I don't want to slip into blogging obscurity that means it's time to author a post.  Unfortunately I've been lazy about bringing my craft bag in from the car so I still don't have photos of the finger puppets.  Instead of heading out to get them I've decided to write this post bare (well, not naked...just without photos) in the hopes that it will motivate me to write a second post on Thursday featuring the puppets.  I'm also planning on spending some time tonight making new ones, so it's possible I'll be able to get more photos and then actually have something exciting to show off :-)

I wrote out a little calendar for myself the other day so I could get a visual idea of how my time is breaking down and it made me feel so stupid.  Based on my calculations, I have more than enough time to fit in all the stuff I'm saying I don't have time to fit in, so there's really no excuse for not getting to things.  Hopefully I will continue to be motivated to fill up my time with worthwhile pursuits.

One thing I did that I haven't done in a long, long time was go out and buy some books.  Mostly I've been relying on the library for my reading needs, but I happened to have a gift certificate to a book store in town and this weekend I decided to finally make use of it.  I discovered writer Lorrie Moore and bought a book of her short stories, as well as Bright Lights, Big City (which I've wanted to read for a while but is never at the library).  I also got Push because I picked it up in the store and found it compelling enough to read (and since it's been movied I doubt it'll be checked in for a while) and I Am Legend, which was also moderately compelling when I flipped through it (though, vampires?  Really?).  I haven't seen either movie version of the books I got so I have no preconceived notions going into reading them.  Lastly I got Gideon, which I wasn't too attracted to just by reading the synopsis or flipping through the pages, but it won a Pulitzer and I'm curious to see whether I think that's any reflection of its readability.

I've been reading Bright Lights, Big City for the past 3 days.  I really like it, and I'm sad that it's so short, and that I'm devouring it so quickly. And I doubt anything else that McInerney wrote or writes will ever compare to it--it's got that first-book thing going for it--so it's not even like I feel like I've discovered a new author to follow.  I know this is most likely a singular experience, which is kind of a bummer.

It's been a long time since I read a book that I really liked, and that I felt both sad and excited about finishing.  I've read lots of books that were average and then a few that were a little above or below, but nothing since Snow Crash has really pulled me in.  I miss when reading was like that.

So here's a list of books that completely sucked me in.  If you like this blog, you might like them, too.

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
The Virgin Suicides and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Captain Correlli's Mandolin and The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis Des Bernieres
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan
In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
1984 by George Orwell
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis
Fight Club and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment