Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Crafting For The Adorable

Seems like it's taken a while, but I've finally picked up the knitting needles again, this time to make a birthday present for a little buddy of mine, my boss's daughter Kaili who's turning 2 this weekend.


Kaili's just about the cutest kid I've ever seen, and a few days ago my boss mentioned that she wanted to commission a hat for her because she couldn't find anything nice and simple in the shops (I guess they're all shaped like pumpkins, or have bear ears attached). Since I'm heading to Portland this weekend and will be missing her birthday party, I decided to just go ahead and make her a hat as a gift (material goods are a perfectly acceptable substitution for actual love and affection, right?).

I wanted a yarn that would flatter her, and since she's a little blond ball of awesome with blue eyes I decided to go with the same steely grey yarn I used to make the special order elbow length Rococo gloves a few months back.

GlovesFingerlessRococoBlueGrayElbowLength by you.
Yeah, those ones.

I figured that the blue would make her eyes pop (in an un-scary way) and that the muted color would go well with most outfits.  Though, now that I think about it, she does wear quite a bit of pink...

Anyhow, I've got the first part of the hat band finished and am working on the body.  There's a craft night at Stephanie and Adam's this evening so hopefully I'll be able to finish the project before I leave for Oregon.  I'll have to get photos of Kaili modeling the finished product--not because I want to showcase my own abilities, but because she's just so flippin' adorable.

The hat pattern I'm using is a free one from Ravelry--and yeah, hats are simple enough that I shouldn't even need a pattern (and truthfully I'm not following it verbatim...) but sometimes you just need a quick reminder on all those decreases for the crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment