Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Famous In Iceland?

Inspired by Stephanie's recent blog post (one of my favorite NSLT features, Fun With Keywords) I decided to visit Statcounter this evening and check out my own Fun With Keywords.

Unfortunately for me, my blog postings don't include as much Googley fodder as Steph's seems to: popular means of finding my blog via Googling seems to be by looking for "Briskknits.blogspot.com" or "Brisk knits Renee" or the slightly more interesting "Do you like gloves?".  My favorite so far, though, is "buy puppets," but only because I love the idea of some person out there (and so far there's only been one) entering that into the Google and somehow finding themselves on my blog.

Whoever you are, heart.

More interesting at this point is the visual representation of visitors to this blog who, amazingly, seem to have come from many places around the world.

Check it out: someone out there in Iceland has been to my blog!
























Also pretty amazing is that I've had (single) visits from Estonia, Turkey and Pakistan.

So what gives, Russia? 

Then there's pie chart detailing the duration of everyone's visit, which is equally interesting.

More often than not, people stay for 5 seconds or less, which is kind of crazy to me.  I'm trying to picture what happens when I click on a link and I think in general I tend to spend at least 15 seconds evaluating where I've wound up before concluding that I don't want to look at it anymore, but maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe all of us are taking things in far faster than we realize, and if nothing jumps out at us immediately we're gone in 4 seconds or less.  If so, how bizarre!

























The next biggest chunk, however, is longer than an hour.

What?

So either people are completely disinterested and close the browser window before even taking the time to scroll half a page down OR they're so enamored that they stick around for more than 60 minutes.

That's longer than an episode of Mad Men!
That's more time than I spend at lunch with my parents!
That's like four finger puppets knitted and accessorized!

That is, simply, awesome!  Double heart to my yellow pie peeps.

Last but not least, there's another pie chart displaying trends with my returning visitors.

























So let's look at this: I have (for yesterday) 175 new people.  Welcome to you guys (and kudos if you stuck around past the 5 second mark)!  Then there's the 32 of you who were coming back for a second, third, fourth, or fifth time.  You rule.  Now onto the special few who've been back for 5 to 10 visits--only 3 of you.

This is where it gets most interesting: who are those three?  I can't even happen a guess because it seems equally likely that they're friends, or people I haven't met in person, or maybe even people I've had no contact with whatsoever.

Whoever you are, I'm intrigued.

Oh, and if you're wondering who those 2 people are that have been to the Brisk blog more than 10 times, I'm 99% sure it's Oleg and Stephanie.  Maybe I'll have to make them special Elite badges for their own web pages, ala Yelp.  Or maybe I'll just tattoo BRISK across their knuckles (because knitting, as we all know, is totally hard core).

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I might be one of the returning three! I came across your blog about a month or two ago while looking for craft blogs. I can't remember exactly how I stumbled upon you. I just continue to have an interest in what you post.

    Maybe it's the crafting, maybe it's the gymnastics (I was a gymnast for 9 years when I was little), it's definitely the clothing swap you wrote about!

    Anyway, thanks for writing and I hope that clears up at least one mystery.

    Oh, but I'm in San Francisco, not in Iceland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, ER! It's very flattering to hear that someone who is not obligated through friendship has a continued interest in my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete