Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Craftastrophe

It's weird when your job is the least stressful part of your day.  This morning I woke up fully conscious of all the things I wanted to get done before coaching at 3:30, but my bed was so warm and cozy it made leaving it really undesirable.  I finally managed to motivate myself out from under the covers at 9:30, and then the busy part of the day began.

I started by finishing the last part of the pair of Lily's Gloves that was ordered through the Etsy shop last week (yay, strangers!).  Luckily I'd completed the second glove the night before (at 2am...) and only had the thumb to do; I quickly took care of that and packaged up the pair (the first to go out featuring not only a Brisk business card, but two Brisk buttons as well!).

Finished Glove















After dropping the gloves by the post office, I finally started on an errand I've been planning for the past month: craft space revision.

My mother asked what I wanted for my birthday this year (it was yesterday--hello, 29!) and I told her I wanted to learn to screen print, so last night I got all my screen printing materials and some books on how to use them.  Unfortunately, my craft area (thus far limited to knitting and sewing, yet still straining to contain all of those materials) has been getting increasingly cluttered and I knew there was no way I'd be able to add another activity in its current state.

See for yourself:















Originally I'd planned on getting a table and a set of drawers to go under it, but over the course of my day (browsing the many Alameda thrift stores) I concluded a simple dresser was a better bet and eventually settled on a reasonably priced three-drawer piece from the Salvation Army.  I traded my comfy Nissan for Mom's cargo-loadable Honda Fit and hauled it over.

And then the fun started.  And by fun I mean long process of completely rearranging everything in my crafting area.  It was kind of a craftastrophe (badump bum).

Here's some photos of the rearranging process.  My strategy was basically to throw everything into the middle of the living room while I moved furniture around.










































It was a little daunting, but the nice thing about growing older is being better able to predict the outcomes of your endeavors--this is not the first time I've thrown everything in the house onto the living room floor, and I'm sure it won't be the last, so in spite of the length of time it took I had every confidence that I would eventually get things back into a nice, neat order.

And I did!  It came together really well and I'm really pleased with the results, though I don't think the new space will suffice for very long.  I will probably have to get rid of some things to expand my craft space further, but until that happens I think this will do.

New cuter craft space.  



































Once I had all that sorted I headed to the gym.  I taught a super cute beginner girls class that had two whole students and we mostly worked on a really fun bar skill, a sole circle dismount, that was my favorite thing to do on bars as a kid.  Then I spent a leisurely hour trying (but ultimately failing, thanks to our decaying office technology) to make a thank you card, and then I left early to come home.

Tonight I'm hoping to finish up the last part of my Christmas gift knitting and maybe wrap some things for some special people in my life.  Tomorrow is my last day of work at the gym until January and I look forward to a nice break that will allow me to test the limits of my new craft space.

No comments:

Post a Comment